DIY tiny weaving on paper

tinypaperweaving1tinypaperweaving2You don’t need any kind of loom at all for this project. Just the few simple materials you see above. And it is so much fun. I could spend hours at this tasktinypaperweaving3You start by making two rows of small holes on a sheet of heavy cardstock. (My holes are spaces 1/16” apart but you can adjust as you wish.)  Poke all the holes first–before you start stitching. Stitch the ”warp” of your weaving onto the paper.

tinypaperweaving9.jpgChoose a color of embroidery floss and thread a long strand of it onto a needle. Start weaving with your shapes first and then fill in around them.

tinypaperweaving4

tinypaperweaving5

tinypaperweaving7.jpg

tinypaperweaving6To hide your tails, thread them onto a needle and bring them through to the back of the cardstock. You can secure them with glue or tape.

tinypaperweaving8When you are finished you will have a small piece of artwork that you can frame. Or just hang it on your wall with tape 🙂

DIY dollhouse hammock

hammock2.jpgWe made this cute hammock for Saya’s dollhouse. I made it to fit her Maileg mice and other small friends.hammock1.jpgYou’ll need:

a piece of fabric 11” x 5 1/2”

two pieces of dowel rod 5” each

4 small screw hooks

tassels (optional)

twine or string for hanging

needle and thread

hammock3.jpgHem the long sides of your fabric. Fold the edges over 1/4” and then 1/4” again and then sew.

hammock4.jpgOn each end fold the fabric over 1/4” and then 3/4” and sew.

hammock5.jpgScrew the hooks into the ends of the dowel rod. (You can also see that I used a pair of pliers to close the hooks.) Then put the dowel rods through the pockets at the ends of the hammock.

hammock6.jpgUse a needle and thread to attach the tassels to four corners of the bottom of the hammock. (I cut these tassels off of one of Saya’s dresses because she didn’t like them, and I saved them for future projects.)

hammock7.jpgJust for fun we let mouse have a nap outside in a tree!

Any questions please send me an email. xoxo

 

botanical art

cards4.jpg

Thank you to Meg Allen Cole for featuring one of my projects in her HGTV post about botanical art!

 

diy papercutting cards

Image

Image

Image

Image

I made some cards using botanical cutouts. I found images of botanical prints online, resized them, and then printed them onto colored cardstock. I then used scissors and an exacto knife to cut out the flowers. I did the same thing with the lettering. I used a free font called the only exception which you can download here.  I printed the text onto cardstock and cut out the letters. Before printing make sure to choose the fliphorizontally printing option because you will be flipping the cutouts over before gluing. I used a spray adhesive to glue the flowers and text onto the front of the cards.

I thought this would be a tedious project, but these were a lot quicker to make than I expected. I ended up making quite a few plus a framed picture for my daughter’s room.

DIY dollhouse

dollhouse1

This looks like a fun DIY project.  I’ll have to file it away until Saya is older, but I think it’s such a great idea.  Click here for instructions.  Seen here.

freezer paper stencils

Today I tried freezer paper stencils for the first time.  I have been meaning to try it for a while, but I always forget to look for freezer paper when I am at the grocery store.  Well, I finally got some, and tried it out on one of Saya’s white t-shirts while she napped today.

dsc_0641

If you want to try this, it is pretty easy and fun.  There is a good tutorial with lots of pictures on Neither Hip Nor Funky.

I got my inspirtation for the t-shirt design from a plate that I bought at goodwill.

dsc_0652

curtains and a chair

So far I have been able to restrain myself from going crazy buying stuff for our new house.  These ikea curtains were already hanging in the windows, and I just took them down, washed them, and put them back up.  I think they’re pretty, and they look good with the freshly painted walls.

This chair was also in the house when we got there.  I bought a cheap piece of fabric from the remnant bin of an upholstery shop, unscrewed the seat of the chair, ripped off the old fabric, and used a staple gun to attach the new fabric.  This is a seriously easy, quick, and highly satisfying DIY project.  I am building up my confidence to try a more ambitious reupholstery project.

Fabric detail.

Here I am hanging up the curtains.  I have my little helper with me as usual.

And here is another cute picture–for those of you who read this blog to see pictures of Saya 🙂  She is happy these days.  She loves to run around the new house.